Confessions of Jessibelle

The truth hurts. I'm sorry. There's no holding back this time.
If you know me in real life, consider yourself warned.

Monday, October 29, 2007

Aparently my birthday kills grandmothers...

October 19th was my birthday. On my birthday I received a call from my favorite cousin to tell me that if I wanted to say goodbye to our grandmother while she was still living, I should make arrangements to do so ASAP. I made the trip the next day. I was so shocked when I saw how much she had deteriorated so quickly. I had just seen her a couple months ago and just talked to her about a week before. She could hardly speak and was mostly paralyzed. She fought for about a week longer and finally passed on October 24th.

I had the honor of writing a eulogy for my grandmother...

Grandma was a classy Southern lady who wasn't too shy to order a mug of beer with dinner or tell you exactly how she felt, often in the form of a letter.

Grandma took great pride in and loved her many grandchildren and great-granchildren no matter how far away or how much trouble we were in.

EHA, JDP, and I had the great privlidge of growing up the closest to her. Grandma was our babysitter and daycare service. Because of this, we know our way around a backyard vegetable garden, the rest of Paul Harvey's stories, to look both ways before crossing the street, and perhaps the most important, don't stand barefoot on the floor furnace.

Just last night I was talking to my mother reminiscing about Grandma. She said that if anyone so enjoyed their walk to the Lord, it was Grandma. Every morning she would get up at 5:00am to study her bible and to write in her journal. The last couple evenings since her passing myself and the rest of the grandchildren have been reading her journals. All of her entries were prayers and praise to the Lord. Most of her prayers were for the family to grow closer together and closer to God. Her most recent prayers were for the Lord to heal her body and make her whole.

Although she will be greatly missed in this world, her prayers have been answered, she is finally with the Lord, healed and whole.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home